Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Silvercreek weekend

We had our first face to face interview at Silvercreek Reformed Church headed out to German Valley, IL. It was a good weekend, but I am still uncertain about this church. Here are some of the pros and cons of the church.

Pros:
· The people of the church were friendly.
· The church facility is beautiful, and they have great youth room.
· The town, German Valley, is sandwiched between a bigger town, Freeport, and a larger city, Rockford... so it's not completely in the middle of nowhere, somost stores you can imagine are easily in our grasp.
· The students of the church live in about a 20 mile radius of the church and most of them attend the same high school.

Cons:
· The church worship service is very traditional, in our opinions.
· The students seemed uninterested in our presence.
· The pay is considerably less, and I am uncertain our family could survive on it.

The strangest past of the weekend was that our highlight was the actual interview. It was relaxed and comfortable. I guess I am somewhat skeptical if I could happily work in this environment. I am not sure if I can put my finger on it but there were definitely things what I left me feeling uncertain: Some awkward conversations, a weird vibe with the pastor, the strange moments when we felt ignored, and other moments.

We are excited that we have another face to face interview coming up in Kansas. We will leave for that one on November 15th. I think that Dawn and I are really hopeful about this church. I have had several good conversations with them, and most of my references are excited about this church.

I also have 2 phone interviews this weekend. Saturday afternoon with First Baptist Church in Greensboro in Indiana. Sunday night I have one with Heartland Baptist Church in Sioux City, Iowa.

On top of all this, we are closing on our house on November 30th, so we need to be out of this place by November 29th. It is going to be some crazy times. Lets see what God's got up his sleeves.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, when He rolls up His sleeves He ain't just puttin' on the ritz...

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Illinois sounds interesting. Hmmmm. Sounds like my interview in PA, before VA -- nice people, but just not the perfect fit.
We'll be praying the interview in Kansas goes well.

1:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home